- 1 lb Bay of Fundy sea scallops
- 1/4 c butter or ghee
- 1 lemon
- For stove-top scallops, use medium-high heat. For fire pit scallops, build a small fire and let a good coal bed develop. Arrange logs to the edges of the coal bed to hold your pan and channel the heat.
- Trim away the side muscle from each of the scallops. (This is the rectangular slab of tougher tissue at the edge of the scallop.)
- Thoroughly rinse the scallops to remove any sand.
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels.
- Melt your butter or ghee into the pan.
- Toss in the dry scallops and quickly sear them until golden brown along their edges. (Do not overcook them or they will quickly go tough.)
- Plate, and spritz them with lemon.